Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 8th

Well, today was another short day at Kibera. We had to meet Martin at the entrance to Kibera at 10:10...the walk in keeps feeling shorter (even though the walk out is still torture!). So our first class was PE with the 2nd graders. We taught them frisbee because they had never gotten the chance to work with them last time (reason being we were working with the upper primary last week). It went well...they get a little confused with certain concepts and whatnot, but littler kids do take longer to teach and it doesn't help that their english isn't as quick as the upper primary. I played with them until about 11:20 and then Martin asked if I would stop by class 6 and say hi and God loves you, because they felt that we were leaving them out. Apparently they had been keeping track of how many times we went into the other classes and they weren't up to that number. They were sooooo...happy when I walked in there. I felt so bad, but the schedule we were given only gave us so many of their classes, so there wasn't much we could do. Our second and last class was with class 3 in Creative Arts. We taught them "Some Trust", and again, they're a little bit slower, but they caught on and they loved every minute of it :).

So, now for the rest of my day!!! I took a taxi downtown to this place called The Roots Salon...yep SALON! Do you know why I went to the salon??? Well, I'll tell you...I got me some Locks (as in DREAD LOCKS)! You know you're all jealous :). My lifelong dream has been realized! Haha. I'd take a picture now and show you, but I just put a wrap on my head in order to go to bed and not get oil all over mamma Vickie's pillow case. So I will take one tomorrow!

That's all we did today...because the dreads took about 4 hours to do.

I love you all so much! Please keep praying...I already know you will, and I thank you so much for that!

2 comments:

  1. You crazy girl. Dread locks even sounds bad, but then that is sometimes good, right! Did you get some reading done while you sat there? Were you alone? Did you have to travel downtown by yourself? What did Vickie say about them? Are they cooler? Will I like them as much as the braids? It seems like it could be easier to care for. How's that for 20 questions? We will have to talk this weekend! I felt bad for the 6th graders. They just want as much attention as they can get too and there isn't anything you can do about it. I'm glad you stopped by their class. Well I gotta get going to work. Can't wait to see those beautiful curls of yours. LOVE OUR GIRL! MOMMA & DADDY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually mom, I think that was more than 20 questions :). So, here are my 20 answers! I did get some reading done out of the book Unspoken, you can tell Deb thanks for me, cause it's her book! I did travel downtown by myself, but I was in a taxi (and the one that Vickie and Mike always use) and he took me right to the building. I was alone the whole time, but it was fine. I actually think I would prefer it that way because it took four hours and that would just be boring for someone else. Vickie like them mom :). Her daughter Kenzie actually got them the last time she was here by the same guy, so she's kind of used to the idea. I don't know that they are cooler...I really haven't noticed any difference either way. I don't know that you will like them as much as the braids, but remember, they are not irreversible! and I don't have to shave my head to get rid of them.

    I love you very much Mom and Dad! See you in 3-ish weeks!

    ReplyDelete