Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 11th

Sooooooo...sorry it's been a while. No good reason, I just kept being lazy. So I will just post a lot tonight :).

Hokay, so today (as in Friday) I met the group for the first time! Their names are Deb, Heather, Brad, Larry, and Alice. They are amazing beautiful people and I'm so blessed to be working with them! For their first day they just wanted to go to the two different Free Methodist schools, Kibera and Kawangware.... just so they could meet the principals, kids, and learn about the history and challenges that the schools have gone through. Vickie and I went to their compound to pick them around 9:15 in order to get to the Kibera school by 10:00. First we went in to the principal's office to greet him and Martin (the chaplain), and talk to him about the background of the school...and have Chai :).

Then we made sure that we greeted all the kids by having a parade (or assembly). They all stood in the play yard while we (the team, the kids already knew Cynthia and I) introduced themselves. They sang us a few songs (mostly the ones we taught them over the weeks), and then they went back to class. But we kept the nursery and the pre-unit class behind because Andrew (the principal) told us that they were the ones who were most likely to not have a sponsor yet. That way they can take the pictures they take to their church and show them around to get those kids sponsored.

There was one little girl, her name is Queen Elizabeth :), and she is a child after my own heart! Both of the weeks we were at Kibera she would make sure she'd come and see me and we would take turns sticking our tongues out at each other and winking! MARVELOUS!!! I'm looking into if she is sponsored or not, cause if she's not....PICK ME! Well, when I get a job.  So, we took lots of pictures of her and me, and hopefully we'll be able to find out if she is sponsored or not!!

Then we had a little meet and greet with the teachers and headed out to the cars, then home for a short break, then Kawangware.

At Kawangware we had a lunch of rice, cabbage :(, and stew. Again, we talked to the Principal, or head mistress, about the history and challenges of the school. After lunch, the deputy had put it together that some of the kids would perform a tradition dance for us and then a few would sing a special song. It was kind of weird sitting in front of them while they performed for us, but it was wonderful none the less. I filmed most of it so I will either put it on Facebook, or show it to you when i get home :). It's PHENOMENAL!!

After that we just went to dinner and relaxed with the team.

So...it took me about 10 hours (exaggeration) to right this one, cause Kyle (Vickie's son) keeps distracting me so i will add more about the weekend and the beginning of this week, tomorrow.

I love you all so very dearly!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear there was no major issues and that you were just being lazy. I hope Queen Elizabeth isn't sponsored so you can have the opportunity. I saw Jen today and she told me you called her for her birthday. What a nice sister you are! Are you going to be a nice daughter and give me a call soon? Don't worry if you can't, I am just teasing. Jen also said you are starting to get adjusted and are not sure about coming home. I had a feeling that is what would happen. I guess you will have to see when you can head back once you have a job or have figured out what you are doing next. Love you so much. We are having brats tonight so I'd better get going. Bible Study too. HUGS& KISSES from MOMMA & DADDY!!!

    ReplyDelete