Thursday, March 10, 2011

March 10th

Today was our last day teaching in Kibera. We met Martin, once again, at one of the many entrances to Kibera and walked in at around 8:15. We had our first class at 8:50 with class 2 for creative arts. They were quite excited to finally have us in a creative arts class with them (we'd had them earlier this week, but only for PE). They caught on pretty well with the song, of course we had Martin there translating (which can sometimes be frustrating, because he tends to repeat, not only what you say, but what he says, over and over again. Even though he's talking in Swahili, we can tell he keeps repeating because of his body language. Oh well, he's still quite helpful).

After that first class we had a bit of a break, so at first we just chilled in the shade and played the guitar, but then Rose, the "kindergarten" class teacher, asked us to come play with her class. I had been waiting for that all this trip :)! So, we got out the bubbles and played with them for a while until we were invited in for Chai. They of course loved the bubbles! So much in fact I had them all over me! They didn't quite like taking turns with the wands, so every once in a while they would be fighting over them practically on top of me, while I was holding the dish with the bubbles in them...and you can guess the end result :)! Oh well...we had plenty of bubbles and at least I got my skirt clean, although my feet were completely covered in mud!

We then had class 3 in creative arts again, so we had to teach them a few different songs. We taught them "Celebrate Jesus Celebrate", which they pretty much knew, and "Lord I Lift Your Name On High", which they had heard before, although didn't really know it.

Then we finally got to have a class with class 1! It took them a lot longer than we were used to to catch on to the songs, but it just helped us learn patience when it came to translating words, ideas, and motions. But it was still fun.

Then we had another break where we just went into the "kindergarten" (that's what I call it anyway) class and just sat with them, looked at their drawings, and laughed with them.

We then had them all (all as in all the lower primary kids, k-3) in a short devotional. We went over the songs that we had learned over the week ("Celebrate" and "Some Trust"), and then I taught the devotional on Proverbs 18:10, which says "The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and they are saved." We then taught them the song that went with it (and that we had taught all the upper grades the previous week), "Strong Tower".

Cynthia and I were both kind of tired from yesterday (which I didn't tell you, but Cynthia was sick with probably food poisoning, and I had a migraine...joy), so we weren't necessarily as energetic today. Please be praying that we gain our strength back and that we just have an amazing week with the team at the building site (they are coming in tonight).

I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Well, Kiddo. How do you feel about it being your last time there? There is probably all kinds of feelings rolling around. I'm sure the children will wonder what happened to their fun teachers! Did they know it was your last time? We were praying for you Wednesday night again. and we are all praying for your physical health. I will let everyone know especially for this week with the team there. Good job with all the kids. Thanks for answering my twenty questions. You are a strong woman. You probably didn't realize how strong until your time there. I pray that God will place a hedge of protection and healing all over you, so you can be the leader the team needs, or the friend or mom or whatever may come up!! Hugs & Kisses, love you girlie, MOM &DAD

    ReplyDelete