Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7th

Today was a good day. Our first, and only, class wasn't until 12:10 in Kibera, so we didn't leave the house until around 11:00. It was nice to just relax, check up on internet things, and prepare for the day. Mike dropped us off so Martin (the chaplain) and Benja (the school's kitchen help) met us just outside of Kibera to walk us in. Since it was in the morning, it was still cool, so it was quite a nice walk...minus the fact that all the smells (but mainly the bad smells) were more pungent because I'm still getting over being sick. When we arrived we spent some time with Andrew (the Headmaster). We went over the schedule for the week and then he taught us some Swahili until our class started.

Our first class was PE with the Standards 1-3. We wanted only 1st because if we had all the kids it would add up to be almost 100, but don't worry...he brought out all three classes! AWESOME (sarcasm)! We decided to teach them a dancing game that Cynthia knew from home. You stand in a circle and sing "Come on baby, ride that pony" three times while the people in the middle run around the inside of the circle. When you sing, "this is how we do it" the people in the middle pick a person from the circle and dance "front to front to front", "back to back to back", and then "side to side to side". After they dance, they switch, and the person who was inside the circle is now part of the circle and visa versa. It's a fun game.....if there aren't 100 little kids trying to learn it at the same time! But really it was okay. I don't think they had the words all figured out, and they didn't get the switching part...they just pulled the dancing partner into the center of the circle with them. But they did have fun :).

We hung out with the kids a little after that and then we had Chai in Martin's office while we waited for the 5th and 8th grade devotionals. For that we taught them "Some Trust (in Chariots)" and then did the devo about the three trees. I think I talked about that before, but if I didn't, ask me and I'll tell you it.

When we were done with devos, we really "had" to go (more like wanted to go so we didn't have to eat, cause they had just fed us bread and Chai). But we really did have a place we said we would be, it just wasn't as pressing as we made it sound. We felt kind of bad, but there was no way I could eat anything with that much flavor after just being sick the day before and we were just ready to go.

Vickie picked us and we stopped by the house to drop our things. From there we took a bus downtown. First time down there...it was interesting. BIG buildings (bigger than I'm used to in Africa), lots of people, traffic, etc. I won't tell you where we went yet, cause it's a surprise, but I will tell you there were "locks" everywhere :)! So we took a bus again for our ride back to the house. Let me tell you, was that ever a packed ride! It wasn't shoulder to shoulder...oh no...it was side to shoulder. Like I was leaned forward the whole time, with my arms up on the seat in front of me, and their arms were digging into my rib cage. Thankfully one of the guys that was next to me got out before me (even if it was only two stops before), so I had a little more room after that.

Tonight I just fooled around on my g-fiddle a little before supper, and after supper we just talked about plans for tomorrow and relaxed.

Thank you so so much for your prayers. I hope you don't get tired of hearing that, cause I'm gonna keep saying it :).

I love you dearly!

1 comment:

  1. Okay Kiddo, So a surprise that has locks everywhere. Sounds like a prison. Am I close? Then you talked about a g-fiddle. Is that a guitar? Sounds like 100 kids would be very tiring. It was probably good that it was a short day. Was the downtown different from the US? It is snowing again today and we are supposed to get a snowstorm tomorrow. I think we will have snow when you get home. Hope your Tuesday goes as well as Monday. Remember to stretch and scream. It makes you feel better also! Love you sooooo much! MOM &DAD

    ReplyDelete