Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Last day of February.

Today was out first day at the Kawangware School. We only had class at 10:25, 2:00, and 2:35, and they were all Creative Arts classes. Since it was our first day at a new place, I was quite uncomfortable again. I had a hard time relaxing and just having fun. But eventually, of course, I was fine. Our first class was 2nd grade, and this was our first time with a lower primary class, so it took us a little longer to teach them two songs.

Again, we did "Strong Tower" and "Lord I Lift Your Name On High". Benard, one of the people who work with ICCM, came along with us for our first day. This turned out to be a good thing, because he could translate what we were saying into swahili, since the littler kids are still not very good at english. He just loves what he does, and being with kids, so he also brought a lot of energy to the PE lesson that we were not planning on doing.

While we were waiting for our last two classes we had a chance to help out in the kitchen. I served all the kids their lunch and Cynthia helped make the meal we would be eating. However, when it got to be the time when it was time for us to eat, we only had 10 minutes before we had to do our next lesson. Well, they wouldn't let us go without eating, so we ended up combining the two classes we had together.

That lesson was a lot of fun! We had 7th and 8th grades, so they learned very quickly. We got to the point where we were running out of prepared songs, so we started teaching ones I didn't even know, but it went well. The one we hadn't prepared, ended up being their favorite song yet. It was the song "Some Trust in Chariots", with motions and everything, and they just loved it! Nice choice Cynthia :)!

Well that was the end of our day at school. When we got home Vickie and I went grocery shopping for dinner (spaghetti and salad!). It was a great time to just talk and shop, and then, when we got home, talk and cook! I just love our little conversations together :). Almost the whole night we had no electricity so we hung out around candles and computers reading, journalling and playing games. Another relaxing enjoyable night!

I suppose you are also wondering about today...well, today was another rotten sick day. I hope this doesn't keep to the same pattern the whole time I'm here cause if it does I'll be getting sick once a week. ugh!

Prayer:

-So please be praying for health (spiritual, physical, emotional) for all of us here.

-Keep Kawangware and Kibera schools in your prayers (students and teachers).

-Whatever else God puts on your hearts :)

I love you all so dearly, and I can't wait to see you when I get home!

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you. I was wondering why the silence. We don't know, but God knows why you are going through these bouts with sickness. Don't dwell on it Sweetie. Just take each day as it comes. Don't look to the future. I went through a little of that when I was learning how to walk again. I thought it would never happen. I had to stay focused on just one day at a time. All of us only have today. Having said that, I am looking forward to March 30th! You will have learned so much and have a lot to share. Although, you won't be up to it right away. It sounds like your time in Kawangware School went well and you are learning a lot. We are off to Carl & Michele's tonight and a birthday party with Todd on Thursday. You are on our minds all the time and the Bible study group is praying for you and ask about you every week. LOVE YOU. HUGS & KISSES Momma & Daddy

    ReplyDelete