Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 4th and 5th

So Friday, as I mentioned Vickie and I went in to Kawangware to teach three creative arts classes. We got there, unfortunately, in time for lunch. I say unfortunately cause I had already eaten something, still wasn't feeling that great, and they give you sooooo...much food. Also, because they wanted us to eat so badly we weren't done in time to teach the first class. Oh well.

We had a bit of a break in between lunch and our, now first class, so we got a bit of a tour of the school, which I hadn't really seen yet cause I've been sick. Then we got to spend time with the baby class! They are so beautiful! All we did was play with the bubbles with them, but it was marvelous! We don't have any time put aside for the baby class at either location so it was good to get some time in :). Hopefully we will be able to in Kibera too!

Our two classes went well. The first class was standard 7 who were a little shy and didn't respond as much, but they would get up and sing when we asked and replied with a little prodding, so it was fine. The fourth grade was our second class and they were very eager to learn! They loved the songs and they responded to just about all our questions. We taught them "I've Got Joy Down in My Heart", "Na na na na, Praise God", and "All in All" as well as went over a few of the other songs that Cynthia taught them.

Then we had a staff devotional with all the teachers at Kawangware. We sang a few choruses in Swahili and then the headmistress, Salome, wanted me to teach them "Desert Song". One of the teachers, Robinson, died about a week ago now and so she wanted a song that talked about praising God through everything we experience, and the Desert Song at one point says "All of my life, in every season, You are still God, I have a reason to sing. I have a reason to worship." And really the whole song has that kind of message, so she really liked it for this particular time. Then Vickie did a short devotional and we left until next time.

That night one of Kyle's teachers came over for dinner and we just had a lot of fun talking, eating, and laughing. :)

Saturday we got up in the morning to head over to Mathare school for a weekend program. The school is one room where during the week a 26 student preschool class meets (It's right next to a place where they "recycle", but it's pretty much just a dirty dump). On this day however the kids were all ages and there were about 55 of them crammed in there (apparently there are usually 80...I can't even imagine). We got there a little late because of traffic, so we went right to work teaching them a few songs and then a devotional. They were quite a bit rowdier than the kids we're used to, so we had to shush them, and rearrange them multiple times. After we were done with everything, we just hung out with them while they were fed their porridge for that Saturday. Pretty much that whole time I just held this one little girl who, right after she got her porridge and took one sip, she fell right to sleep...wonderful! :) The rest of the day was just spent driving around, grocery shopping, and watching a movie. Quite a good Saturday in all!

That's about all I have to report. Today I was sick again...it's getting exceptionally obnoxious. I'm getting discouraged and just really frustrated again, but tomorrow is a new day. It WILL be better.

Be praying for me please! I know I don't have to ask and that you have been...but for my mental security I still am.

I so dearly love you all!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Janee... My little heart breaks every time I read that you are sick :( but I know God is still using you and teaching you through everything you encounter and that is the most exciting! I love hearing about the beautiful little kiddies, too :) I love you, friend, and am praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Honey Bunch, Loved our visit on Saturday!! I was so excited that you were feeling better, then you got sick on Sunday. Were you able to go with Cynthia to Church? I know that you are doing what you can and are pressing on. That is great. In spite of this, you are doing what God is asking you to do. We will pray that you do not become discouraged, but keep your focus on what you are doing and not on what you aren't doing. We went snowshoeing today. We had Andy, Brenda & Brian over for dinner. I got some more quilting done. It's cold, about 5degrees. This week we have to bake for the Guatemala bake sale on Thursday. Potluck is Saturday. I am going to bake gingerbread houses on Saturday. Love you, Hugs & Kisses, MOM & DAD PS I made cinnamon brownies. Sorry. I won't make them again until you are home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...Thanks mom! I'll be ready for them (cinnamon brownies)! I think it's weird, but cool that you are so in to quilting now :). Thanks for all your hugs and kisses. I love you!

    ReplyDelete